Training Doyens is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP. This program is valid for 1 PDC for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit shrmcertification.org.
This webinar covers the complete context of payroll rules and administration made simple. It starts with the basic classification of workers properly as Contractors or Workers. Rules for payment and administration of contractors is outlined. FLSA exempt and nonexempt employee rules, and rules for payments to exempt and nonexempt employees are also examined.
Overtime rules are outlined for nonexempt employees in addition to record keeping & reporting for all employees.
Webinar stresses that employee payroll administration is only accepted if perfect. Achieving perfection in the payroll policies and procedures is the overall theme of this webinar. Special attention is paid to the understanding & implementation of the Dept. of Labor’s newly proposed overtime rules. New rules will require complete review of all jobs & descriptions, policies & procedures & handbooks. More employees will be eligible for overtime causing an increase in administration and costs.
This major implementation will also have cultural impact as employees must be moved to different classifications for compliance.
Payroll is most important aspect of any business. It leads to employee morale. It must be perfect and compliant with all the payroll rules and regulations. This webinar examines all the payroll rules of the FLSA and how to implement them to achieve perfection. It is a simple approach to payroll rules and administration which guarantees to give attendees a good working knowledge of payroll rules & administration in simple to understand and apply tools & techniques.
• Proper classification of workers as contractors or employees
• Proper classification of employees as exempt or nonexempt under new payroll overtime rules 2020
• Importance of job description in implementation of new rules
• Proper implementation of FLSA rules
• Proper payment under FLSA exempt and nonexempt employee rules
• Achieving perfection and prevention consistent with the implementation of FLSA rules
• The overall goal of perfection and prevention in payroll administration
• Identifying workers as contractors vs. employees
• Identifying employees as exempt from overtime using FLSA rules in the categories of
o Computer professionals
o Outside Sales Professionals
• Salary and duties test under FLSA rules for exempt employees
• The value of the job description and its proper preparation
• Consideration of record-keeping, accounting & reporting policies & procedures
• Proper payment to newly classified exempt and those that by default fall to the nonexempt category
• How to handle non-discretionary bonuses consistent with paying overtime and the new overtime rules
• Achieving perfection & prevention in payroll consistent with new rules
• New overtime rules that are being proposed
• Possible reclassification of employees from exempt to non-exempt based on the salary threshold
• Companies must understand and implement these new rules
• This webinar covers a review & implementation of these new rules
• Specific review, understanding & implementation of the Dept of Labor's newly proposed overtime rules are covered to provide a perfect path to compliance
Simple understanding of rules and administration of Payroll including determining employees vs. contractors, guidelines & payment of contractors, definition of employees as exempt or non-exempt, proper payment of exempts & non-exempts, proper payment of overtime and bonuses, summary aspects of Dept. of Labor new overtime rules.
• HR Personnel
• PR Personnel
• Planning & Budgeting Professionals
• All positions involved in personnel or payroll administration and the supervision of personnel
Years of Experience: 33+ years
Areas of Expertise: Finance, Accounting and Business Management
Carl Young is an Author, Speaker, Trainer, Consultant, and Coach. He holds a MBA and completed graduate studies in Accounting and Taxation. He is a former CFO of a 275M, high growth technology based company. He has over 25 years of senior level business management experience. In addition, he has over 25 years of training experience in finance, accounting and business management. Former CEO of his own small parts manufacturing company as well as former Senior Financial Associate of major consulting firm.
Carl is a member of the following organizations: American Society of Corporate Controllers, Council of Experts (investment firm Gersen&Lehrman), Society of Industry Leaders (sponsored by Standard &Poors), and the National Association of Accountants.
An engaging and entertaining speaker and trainer who draws from his experience as a former CFO to make relevant teaching points. Sessions are rich in content, lively, full of energy and include plenty of audience interaction. He has branded himself as Mr. Simplicity! His goal is to make finance and accounting relevant to non-financial professionals using tools and techniques that are simple to understand and apply.View all trainings by this speaker