Training Doyens is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP. This program is valid for 1.25 PDC for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit shrmcertification.org.
The turbulent ever-changing and technology driven world of business requires changing and evolving roles for controllers. The focus is currently more on the soft side of business, rather than accounting and reporting. It is more about people pleasing, than pencil pushing. Studies have shown the controllers who want to rise in the ranks to CFO must learn to put down their pencils and master the soft skills.
Controllers must become Strategic Partners, Value Adding Decision Makers, Providers of Solutions and Managers of Change. It is more a matter of running the company with the numbers, rather than by the numbers.
This webinar looks at the evolving roles for controllers in the current turbulent business world. It bends the arch away from the recording and reporting of the past and looks to the future for creating of relationships and effective leadership.
Our current business environment is chaotic and constantly changing due mainly to technology and other prevailing forces. Controllers are often too heavily focused on “numbers” and running the company by the numbers rather than with the numbers. Those seeking to become effective Controllers must move away from “pencil pushing” and focus more on relationships and “people pleasing”. This session focuses on the soft side of business and how Controllers can effectively indulge in strategic partnership rather than be mere super accountants as many that are elevated to Controller positions from lesser finance or accounting positions do.
• Controller’s expanded role in turbulent times
• Leadership tools and techniques
• How to become a trusted partner and an un-trusting official at the same time
• How to obsessively focus on customers, cost and cash as key success factors
• How to manage and control the cash to cash cycle
• How to run the company with, and not by the numbers
• How to provide preferred financial information
• Key ratios and trends
• Use of rolling forecasts vs. traditional budgeting
• Essential elements of internal controls
The major focus will be on the qualities of an effective controller:
• Analysis of information
• Ability to communicate
• Company & industry knowledge
• Leadership skills
• Ability to provide cost effective services
• Technical knowledge
• Assistant Controllers
• Accounting & Finance Managers/Supervisors
• Assistant Controllers
• Any Financial or Accounting Professional seeking to become Controllers
• Any Financial Professional seeking to understand the changing role of Controllers in chaotic times
• Any Non-Financial Professional seeking to understand the changing role of Controllers in changing and chaotic times
Years of Experience: 33+ years
Areas of Expertise: Finance, Accounting and Business Management
Carl Young is an Author, Speaker, Trainer, Consultant, and Coach. He holds a MBA and completed graduate studies in Accounting and Taxation. He is a former CFO of a 275M, high growth technology based company. He has over 25 years of senior level business management experience. In addition, he has over 25 years of training experience in finance, accounting and business management. Former CEO of his own small parts manufacturing company as well as former Senior Financial Associate of major consulting firm.
Carl is a member of the following organizations: American Society of Corporate Controllers, Council of Experts (investment firm Gersen&Lehrman), Society of Industry Leaders (sponsored by Standard &Poors), and the National Association of Accountants.
An engaging and entertaining speaker and trainer who draws from his experience as a former CFO to make relevant teaching points. Sessions are rich in content, lively, full of energy and include plenty of audience interaction. He has branded himself as Mr. Simplicity! His goal is to make finance and accounting relevant to non-financial professionals using tools and techniques that are simple to understand and apply.View all trainings by this speaker